It is indeed a strange day today. My mood is all over the place with ideas. I think I should paint, should I write or should I go for a walk? I am having a hard time choosing. They are all healthy things to do. I need to broaden my structure for each day. Its getting a little mondane. I hate when I get in a slump and my mood pluments downward
It is at these very times that I need to use and put into practice the many tools that I have learned through DBT and other therapy experiances over the years. Lets see may be I should make a list.
- Self-Soothe………this skill is good when my mood shifts and spirals downward. Sometimes just doing something for my self that makes me happy. It might not because of the mood I’m in but its………fake till you make it. It really can work.
- Mindfulness…………I can pay attention to what I am doing in the here and now so that the past and the future do not over take my mood. For instance if I am taking a bubble bath I can pay attention to the fragrance and the feel of the bubbles in my hand as they are popping. I can look at them closely and notice the tiny little rainbows that they give off. If I use all of my senses for this very moment there is no time for worry.
- Doing things for others in need always lifts my mood.
- Prayer can be a comfort in a time of need. It always calms me down and I become more at peace with myself.
- Walking while listening to my favorite music helps as well. There are so many skills that can be used. They can be as differant as all people are different. Its about what ever works. You can make your own list and put it on the frig or somewhere else to remind you in time of need. Tell me your ideas..make a comment.